Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My To-Do List

Project one done!!

We've started on the basement, as we have motivation to get it done...On Monday morning a company will be coming to pull out our air conditioner and furnace and install a new one throughout the day Monday and into Tuesday. We're pumped! Its funny what things we get excited about as adults! Its been too many years that we've been going with just window air, and our kids need to stay cool (as well as mom and dad!).

The shelving in the front closet will be our next project as we had a few extra pieces from our dining room shelving system and found that the dining room closet wasn't the place to store batteries and light bulbs.

I should also add that I've planted many flowers outside, but I still have a few remaining flowers to plant and need to weed the flower gardens BADLY! You can hardly see the flowers due to the weeds being so prominent.

Itried to find a way to anchor this list on the blog as a continual reminder, but found that I'm technologically disadvantaged! I decided to write it all up anyways to help keep myself on my toes.




My maternity leave is coming to an end and before I head back to work there are a few projects that I would like to get done to help make the house run a little more smoothly.


  1. Set up shelves in the closet in the dining room to make it a "kid-friendly" space, where sitters can go to find activities for the kids to do. I plan to set up enough shelves for our kids' board games, playdough, colors, markers and paint, coloring books and paper, Ready for Kindergarten supplies, Preschool Busy Bags and any other odds and ends around the house.
  2. Fix outside faucets (they are dripping water and wasting money!!)
  3. Reorganize front closet by front door, hoping to make the process of coming and going more efficient by placing things in useful places and assisting in clearing the entryway out.
  4. Strip wallpaper in entryway and repaint (this just came to me as I was writing this, its funny how things you live with day to day don't stick out to you, but if someone came into my home they would probably notice the peeling wallpaper immediately)
  5. Restructure clothing storage in our bedroom. We moved into Alex's old room months ago, and have been living in disorganization since then. Our clothes are out of place. We have lots of shelves in the closet that we aren't using at all and this needs to change before our life gets busy with opposite work schedules.
  6. Clean junk out of the basement. That is a broad way to say- minimize our possessions! Our solution to outgrowing our space is to put it in the basement and deal with it later...well, I'm sick of waiting for later, this needs to be done before its a  last minute process that stresses us out!
  7. Organize the garage. We currently don't use our garage and really haven't since we moved in. It has become the place that we put stuff that doesn't quite make it to the basement. We also have tons of stuff that needs to go to the thrift store out there, stuff that we had out there for the garage sales in the past and haven't done anything with. Needless to say, we need the space back!
  8. Clean and swap out appliances. We currently have an appliance graveyard, our freezer was crapping out on us, so we replaced it (leaving the old one vacant in the garage), we replaced our washer and dryer this winter as we planned to do an increase in laundry with 3 children (leaving the old washer and dryer in the basement), and we were given the old stove from Mike's place (an upgrade for us as ours is olive green)- leaving us with a stove in the house to clean and move out and a stove in the garage to clean and move in.
  9. Weed the yard and plant flowers (this spring has been awful! I have gotten nothing done outside) good thing I've been busy with the kids and haven't had much time anyways.
Writing this list has become overwhelming for me...now, how am I going to get this done? Utilize my time that Jeremy is home in the early morning. We've been sleeping until 8:30/9 am almost every day, I figure if I can get myself up and moving by 7 am every morning I should be able to get a couple projects done in short order. The ones that will require both of us, we will have to complete after Jeremy gets home in the evenings or on his days off.

No comments: