Monday, October 6, 2008

There will be days like this...

Yesterday was a day to go down in the books and hopefully never return...We got home Saturday night extremely late from a wedding and visiting at Grandma's, Jeremy worked at 10:30, so we woke up early to get to church by 8:30. As always, we were running late, but weren't planning on being as late as we were. We were ready to leave the house at 8:40, by that time, going to the 8:30 service didn't seem feesible we probably wouldn't have walked in the doors until 9. We headed out for a family breakfast before we both headed our separate ways. Our breakfast was awesome and it was really nice to relax together prior to our busy day ahead of us.

We got to church just in the knick of time, and were only able to sneak into a front row seat. Keep in mind, Alex was short on sleep and we don't often venture to church on our own...Alex was getting irritable shortly into the service, I gave him his juice and a snack, which occupied him for a short amount of time, soon he was just whining continuously during the sermon text. I walked out with him in a hurry with only his blankie and him, leaving our bag and snacks behind. After awhile of trying to get him to fall asleep for me, I noticed his diaper was quite full...predicamint number 1: diaper bag was in the church...we walked into the church and grabbed a single diaper and wipes...predicamint number 2: ONE DIAPER!!...we waited for the changing table in the bathroom and then proceded to change his diaper. As I was taking his diaper off, he did something he has not done for close to a year, he sprayed himself, I quickly covered him up and waited for him to finish. Next I pulled off the diaper and pitched it, while he tried to wiggle around on the changing table. I got him to lay back down and got his diaper ready to put on, as he started peeing again!! This time it was a huge amount that sprayed me from my shoulder to my thigh, his clothes (his onsie was completely soacked) and dripped off the changing table, I tried to deflect it with his diaper, but only created another predicamint....#3 soaking wet clothes...#4 already wet diaper... I stood there in awe for a while, questioning my next move.

Here were my options:
1) stand there and cry (believe me, I was close): this wasn't going to help me get anywhere
2) leave his diaper off and strip him of his clothes: this would mean I would have to walk into church with a naked baby, probably not the best choice.
3) put on a wet diaper, but leave his clothes off, there were dry ones in his bag: #5: diaper bag was in church, not with me where it should have been.
4) put wet diaper on, take off soaking onsie and put on damp pants and shirt, go into church get belongings and go home, because neither one of us were getting anything out of the service.

We went with number 4, I left Alex alone in the cry room with toys while I went and got our stuff, walked out and picked him up, while I was cleaning up his toys he was standing pretty close to the door as someone walked through the door and bumped him on the head, this actually didn't seem to phase him at the time. We then walked to the door and as we were almost to the door I put him down so I could get things organized and find our keys, Alex turned to run back to the cry room, all I could grab quickly was his shirt collar, as I did this I managed to scratch him on the neck, he then let loose and was screaming and bawling, mostly in exhaustion, but also in pain from his head and his newly obtained scratch.

We went home and straight to bed, where we both slept for 3 1/2 hours and awoke well rested and refreshed, thankfullly!

1 comment:

The Zeldenrust Family said...

ha ha! not funny at the time, but funny to read. some days you just can't do anything right. but they are worth posting so you have material to tell him as he gets older! :o)