Thursday, February 25, 2010

Things are always changing

We are finding that this is a message that rings true to our lives; change is always happening. Elijah continues to grow and develop into a little comedian, Alex continues to broaden his knowledge and never ceases to amaze us, and we experience changes in our personal and work lives daily.

Elijah is currently working to master the art of walking. He does a wonderful job of walking around stuff and balances himself majority of time with his belly against the surface without hanging on. We've begun practicing with him to walk to us, he hasn't really done any full steps but does seem to be catching on to the process. We continue to work with him on some simple baby signs to assist him with communication, but have not seen him do the signs himself yet.

Alex is demonstrating to us that reading may be just around the corner for him. At Perkins on Sunday he opened the kids menu and pointed to "SCHOOL" and said, "That says school." He did this completely independently without us discussing school or anything related to that at all. On Tuesday on my way to drop the boys off at daycare, he pointed at a sign outside a building, that said "office" and said, "F-F-O spells off." As you all know, that is backwards, which can be fairly normal for kids, but this shows that he's recognizing letter patterns and able to distinguish frequently used words. DISCLAIMER: We are not forcing these things onto him, whatsoever! He is initiating these things himself. I actually have backed off a little bit with him only because I don't want to burn him out from these things.

As for us, nothing too earth shattering...Jeremy hasn't really had any big changes lately. However, I did start a new unit today. I found that my former unit was unchanging and didn't cure my real itch for acute psych patients. The new program should do exactly that and I look forward to going through the next week of orientation to see what the program's all about!


Looking innocent


Typical excited Elijah face.


Playing a color matching game provided by the Ready for Kindergarten program. (thanks for the orange and purple, Joni!)


"Is this how you use maracas?"


"Oh, so I'm not supposed to hit my brother on the head..."

No comments: